10 Facts About A.P. Indy
Updated: Sep 3, 2019
1. A.P. Indy descends from two Triple Crown winners. His sire is Seattle Slew, winner of the 1977 Triple Crown. His damsire is Secretariat, winner of the 1973 Triple Crown.
2. Japanese businessman Tomonori Tsurumaki purchased A.P. Indy for $2.9 million at the 1990 Keeneland July Sale.
3. A.P. Indy was slated to run in the Kentucky Derby but was scratched the morning of the race due to a blind quarter crack on his left front hoof.
4. A.P. Indy’s time of 2:26 in the Belmont Stakes is tied with Easy Goer for the second fastest in history (behind Secretariat’s time).
5. The 1992 Gr.1 Jockey Club Gold Cup is considered to be the worst race of A.P. Indy’s career. The colt stumbled at the start, tearing the shoe off one of his shoes and absolutely destroying one of his hooves (it was said that there wasn’t much hoof left afterwards). A.P. Indy still managed to finish third and his hoof was rebuilt his hoof that night with acrylic.
6. There is only one three-generation Belmont Stakes sequences and A.P. Indy is apart of it. Seattle Slew won it in 1977, A.P. Indy won it in 1992, and Indy’s daughter Rags to Riches won it in 2007.
7. A.P. Indy’s best friend is his groom Asa Haley. Haley has been caring for Indy for 15 years, taking him along his usual routine and spending countless hours with the living legend.
8. According to Haley, Indy’s favorite snack used to be apples but today he enjoys the soft, puffy peppermints the most.
9. A.P. Indy sired 692 winners from 946 starters. 88 of his foals became graded stakes winners and 12 were named Champions.
10. A.P. was pensioned from his stud duties in 2011 but he still has the same daily routine of every other stallion at Lane’s End Farm - the stallions are brought inside at 6:30 a.m., washed, groomed, fed, and turned back out for the night at 2 p.m.
Thank you to my Ko-Fi supporters: Amy W., Stephen A., Keryl W., and Joe S.
If you enjoyed this article, consider supporting me on Ko-Fi. Include your address for a gift to be sent to you as a thanks!
Buy some merchandise! 5% of all monthly merchandise sales help CANTER find Thoroughbred racehorses loving homes after their time on the track is over.